The Turf, Farm and Home was first published in Auburn Maine in 1889 and stayed there until1894. On April 20, 1892 the paper consolidated with the Maine Horse Breeders Monthly. The paper was published every Friday. It then moved from Auburn to Waterville Maine, the first issue being published June 1, 1894 and was being published as the Turf, Farm and Home and the Maine Animal until 1895. In 1896 the paper changed back to Turf, Farm and Home and was published until July 6, 1910. When the paper moved to Waterville it widened the scope, even adding a section and department to dairying which added Otis Meader as the dairy editor, from Albion. Very soon after the dairy section was added, a poultry department was added with Geo. P. Coffin as editor from Freeport. Eventually a household department was added which made the paper an all - around agricultural journal with the scope being widened all the time. The paper is published by Turf Publishing Company with Mr. A. R. Cobb of Portland being the President, Mr. E. P. Mayo as the editor and business manager, and J.W. Thompson as Associate Editor. This paper also had the largest circulation for any weekly published in the 3rd district of Maine.
Copies of this newspaper have been made available by the Maine State Library, Maine Historical Society, Lost Trotting Parks Heritage Center, and Harness Racing Historian – Clark Thompson of Bangor.
If you have any of these rare papers or know where there are some, please reach out to email@example.com