Download Full Text (11.2 MB)
Maine State Library
The Bay of Naples Inn was originally designed for a site in Crawford Notch, N.H. When it was partially constructed at that site, it was blown down in a gale.
Charles Goodridge of Naples bought the plans and most of the trusses and hauled them to Naples, where he built the Inn. Construction began in 1898 and on July 26, 1899, it was opened for occupancy. It served the budding tourist business and the Oxford and Cumberland Canal service.
After the canal was abandoned, the Inn served until the 1950s, when it was closed. In 1963-4 the Inn was torn down and burned.
Costello, Charles P. and Goodrich, Charles, "Bay of Naples Inn, Naples Maine" (1900). Book Collections at the Maine State Library. 65.
No Copyright - United States. URI: http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/NoC-US/1.0/
The organization that has made the Item available believes that the Item is in the Public Domain under the laws of the United States, but a determination was not made as to its copyright status under the copyright laws of other countries. The Item may not be in the Public Domain under the laws of other countries. Please refer to the organization that has made the Item available for more information.