The 14th Maine Regiment was mustered in for three years' service on December 31, 1861, and were mustered out on January 13, 1865. Re-enlisted men and recruits reorganized as the 14th Battalion Maine Infantry. Of the men enrolled in the regiment, 86 were killed or died of wounds and 332 died of disease.
They served in the following engagements:
- Baton Rouge, LA - August 5, 1862
- Civiques Ferry, LA - May 10, 1863
- Port Hudson, LA - May 27 thru July 9, 1863
- Winchester, VA - September 19, 1864
- Fishers Hill, VA - September 22, 1864
- Cedar Creek, VA - October 19, 1864