In 1858, the Maine Legislature passed a law establishing the railroad commissioners, who were responsible for overseeing railroads in the State. In 1913, with the creation of the Public Utilities Commission, the railroad commissioners were abolished and railroads were then regulated by the PUC. From the 1880s to 1910s many railroad plans had to be approved by the commissioners of these bodies. As a result, the Maine State Archives now has a large collection of maps and plans from railroads throughout the state.
Printing is not supported at the primary Gallery Thumbnail page. Please first navigate to a specific Image before printing.